Sunday, January 18, 2009

VIDEO MEMORIES OF REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR - WHEN THE MEDIUM CONVEYED THE MESSAGE - CIRCA 1963

As America celebrates the myriad contributions of the Reverend, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., it is good to look back on his emphatic and optimistic oratory. He delivered his renowned ," I Have A Dream," speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during the civil rights, march on Washington DC , in August of 1963.

Television took me there without ever leaving my home.

I saw it on the 21 inch , black and white, Zenith, console television in the living room of my family's house in Northeast Philadelphia. I was nine years old and the images we watched and sounds we heard on our hometown NBC-TV affiliate (then identified by the call letters WRCV-TV ) have stayed with me for almost 44 years.

The clip below not only serves to remind us of the gravity of that moment in American history, but also how television and radio allowed millions of people to bear witness to that solemn, yet inspiring event, across the nation and around the globe.

Television and radio played a vital role in the struggle for racial equality in this country, simply by conveying the truth as it unfolded in front of cameras and microphones.


No comments:

Post a Comment